There are many top ten lists of WordPress plugins out there. They all seem to contain the same thing, with one or two variations. Contact Form 7, Google XML Sitemaps, All-in-one SEO, etc. They are great plugins and I use them as well, but I really love when they list a lesser known plugin that ends up being useful to me.
These are some of the other plugins I use.
- Cleverness To-Do List Plugin: Yep, my own plugin. I install it on every one of my sites and I adopted it after it was abandoned because I found it so useful.
- Greg’s High Performance SEO: This is the SEO plugin that I prefer to use. I like it better than All-in-one SEO
- Syntax Highlighting Evolved: This is the plugin that I use to display PHP and other code on this site. I tried out several syntax highlighters and I found this one to be the best. There are several color schemes you can choose from as well.
- Theme Test Drive: I use this whenever I’m designing a new theme for one of my sites. It allows you to work on a theme without anyone else being able to see it.
- Slideshow Gallery Pro: Lots of clients want slideshows on their page and I’ve found this to be the best plugin for them.
- Advanced Excerpt: This plugin gives you much more control over how an excerpt looks.
- Subscribe to Comments Reloaded: I don’t know how many users subscribe to comments, but I wanted to give people that option.
- Relevanssi: The default search is not very good. This will provide more relevant search results.
- Custom Field Template: This makes it easy to provide nice graphical interfaces to enter custom fields in posts.
- WP-PageNavi: I sometimes like to have numbers at the bottom of pages rather than previous and next links.
- jQuery Lightbox For Native Galleries: I’ve used several different lightbox plugins through the years and I’ve found this to be one of the better ones.
- WP Maintenance Mode: This works great for new sites you’re working on or sites you’re redoing. It displays a coming soon/maintenance mode page for non-logged in users.